What is Catfishing?
Catfishing is the new and popular term used to describe online users that use false identities on social media and dating sites. People involved in Catfishing activities do them for the following reasons:
- They see it as a way to boost up their self-esteem
- They want to bully people
- They want to scam people by gaining their trust and then demand gifts and money
- They were jilted once and now wants to get even with other people
- They want to attract people to romantic relationships just to embarrass or taunt them
- They are physically unattractive, mostly overweight, and attention-seekers
- They have a hard time telling the truth
Catfishing is one of the negative parts of online dating. People are often victimized by Catfishing because they may have invested too much time, effort, and money with the relationship.
Here are some helpful tips to find out if you’re being catfished by your new online friend:
- They quickly say “I love you”
- They are almost perfect human specimens
- They request gifts and money from you
- Their profile photos looks outdated and of poor-quality
- They have an incomplete or new profile with little information provided
- They prefer phone calls and text messages
- They find excuses to use a webcam or Skype to communicate with you
- They avoid talks of personal meetups
- They give you conflicting information about themselves
If your new online friend meets all these categories, it’s time to back off from this person. Nothing good will come to this kind of one-way relationship except heartaches. You can report this person to your online dating site to help other users from being victimized.
If you want to take it one step further by way of rock-solid proof against the Catfishing, you may do some amateur online sleuthing. You can either upload his or her photo to Google image search to find out if he or she exists. If it’s a stolen photo, Google image search would be able to provide you with information of the various social sites that used the photo.
Or, better yet, hire a private investigator as a means of getting all the necessary background on your new friend. It may set you back a bit but you also avoid being taken in.
We make the task of searching for the best private investigator by recommending Anti Arnaques. AntiArnaques is an experienced investigating organization that has consistently helped people avoid being victimized by scams, frauds, and Catfishing.
It’s too late to cry for help when you’ve already been victimized. The millions of dollars scammed from various people using online dating sites will never be recovered. It is a far better option to be vigilant and wary of new acquaintances online. Sob stories are always the things that lure people to send money to their online dates. Don’t be one of them.